Environmental Management System
Nearly any business can benefit from achieving certification to ISO 14001 standards. The certification is broad enough to offer significant benefits to organisations in any industry or sector, while still providing a specific framework for implementing relevant sustainable practices. Some of the advantages to becoming an ISO 14001 certified organisation include:
- Improved environmental management. An ISO 14001-conforming environmental management system helps you identify potential impacts and implement controls and measures to keep risk as low as possible. ISO 14001 provides quantifiable, scalable tools to reduce your resource use, improve the overall efficiency of your business and keep the larger impact of your operations to an absolute minimum.
- Legal compliance. When you understand how statutory and regulatory requirements impact your organisation, it's easy and affordable to stay on the right side of the law. Because it is based on a set of industry-recognised best practices, ISO 14001 certification also positions you to meet the regulatory challenges of the future — a key advantage in a constantly changing legal landscape.
- Reduced operating costs. Achieving efficiencies in energy and water usage and through waste minimisation means money saved.
- Improved stakeholder relationships. Make the environment a priority and people will respond positively to your organisation. ISO 14001 certification is recognised around the world. If you are attempting to expand your business into new territories, certification is the best way to demonstrate to potential customers that you're taking proactive steps to do the responsible thing.
- Proven business credentials. Independent assessment against recognised standards speaks volumes and enhances your brand. An ISO 14001-conforming organisation is there for the long haul — buyers and other stakeholders recognise this and look to it when making decisions about who to initiate new .
- Ability to win more business. Procurement specifications often require certification as a condition to supply, so gaining certification to the standard opens doors. When expanding your business into new market segments, certification is the best thing you can do make the process seamless.
"We have always taken our environmental impact seriously, but the process involved in achieving ISO 14001 certification has given us a structure, a rigour and a clear progression plan for ongoing improvement." Nairn's Oatcakes"